The Patriot Newspaper

The Student News Site of Central Bucks High School East

The Patriot Newspaper

The Patriot Newspaper

10 Most Important Albums of All Time

Among the vast array of albums that have graced our ears, some have left a special mark in musical history. Here, we explore the 10 most important albums that have not only shaped genres but have also become timeless classics.

1. “Pet Sounds” – The Beach Boys:

In the year 1966, The Beach Boys released their masterpiece “Pet Sounds”. This album changed the landscape of studio production and pushed the envelope for what was possible at the time. The unique arrangements by Brian Wilson’s coupled with the lush harmonies throughout the album set a new standard for music, influencing generations to come. Considered the greatest “Surf Rock” album of all time this one sits in a class of its own.

1. “Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)” – Wu-Tang Clan:

Wu-Tang Clan’s 1993 debut album is possibly the best in all of hip-hop. Through real, gritty storytelling, a huge cast of artists, and an iconic collection of beats produced by the RZA, this album set the precedent for rap. It laid the foundation for what was considered “East Coast rap”.

1. “What’s Going On” – Marvin Gaye:

Marvin Gaye’s album “What’s Going On” released in 1971, is a masterpiece that provides social commentary on the civil injustice in its time. Its ability to blend R&B, Jazz, and Soul was very innovative and solidified himself as one of the greats.

1. “Discovery” – Daft Punk:

Daft Punk’s 2001 album “Discovery” revolutionized electronic music by seamlessly merging funk, house, and pop elements. Its impact on the genre influenced artists not only in EDM, but all other areas of music. This album laid the foundation for their 2006 Alive tour which was the first time the US was introduced to the new genre of EDM.

1. “London Calling” – The Clash:

The Clash’s 197

9 album, “London Calling,” is the pinnacle of punk rock. With its diverse range of influences, it not only solidified punk as a serious musical force but also expanded the boundaries of the genre. This album introduced many to the genre and solidified their place in history.

1. “Exodus” – Bob Marley:

Bob Marley’s “Exodus” released in 1977 is the essential reggae album that transcends its genre. Unlike no others of its time, it helped propel the genre outside the small Caribbean island of Jamaica and into the mainstream. In the tough political landscape that was Jamaica in the 70’s, it fuses political messages with irresistible rhythms. Marley’s album brought reggae to a global audience and became an anthem for social justice.

1. “Kind of Blue” – Miles Davis:

Miles Davis’s 1959 release, “Kind of Blue,” shaped a new era of Jazz in the 60’s. Davis takes a new approach to Jazz where he flips the traditional musical structure on its head and instead introduces his own. His improvisation and classic compositions make it a cornerstone in the world of jazz.

1. “Back to Black” – Amy Winehouse:

Amy Winehouse’s soulful and emotional “Back to Black”, released in 2006, showcased her vocal prowess and songwriting skills. The album revitalized the soul genre while addressing personal struggles, which left an undeniable mark on modern music.

1. “Wish You Were Here” – Pink Floyd:

Released in 1975, Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” is a progressive rock masterpiece. Its concept as an elegy for founder Syd Barrett, emotional depth, and experimental soundscapes make it a cornerstone in the band’s illustrious discography.

• “OK Computer” – Radiohead:

Radiohead’s “OK Computer” released in 1997 stands as the cornerstone of alternative rock. Its innovative sound, existential themes, and dystopian vision influenced a generation of musicians and solidified Radiohead’s place in music history.

These albums are not merely collections of songs but are cultural landmarks that have shaped music as we know it. Each Album has contributed to the evolution of music, leaving a legacy that will be felt for years to come.