The Patriot Newspaper

The Student News Site of Central Bucks High School East

The Patriot Newspaper

The Patriot Newspaper

CBE Chamber Choir Takes on ACDA!

The 2024 Chamber Choir will be traveling to Providence, Rhode Island to perform in the Eastern Region ACDA conference! ACDA also known as the American Choral Directors Association – is the leading professional organization for choir teachers, directors, college professors, and composers in the United States. Elementary through senior high schools, college/university, community, professional, worship, and show choirs perform there! Mr. Villante has been working extremely hard to help the choir be the best they can because “applying for this is a challenging task. All entrants need to submit the past three years of recordings. Our choir is one of only five high school choirs invited to perform alongside collegiate choirs and other top choral groups in the Northeastern United States.” This year, the Chamber Choir has the great honor to perform, particularly important for individuals in the choir realm and show off their hard work!  

Chamber will be singing seven songs.  

The Unexpected Early Hour – Reena Esmail 

O’Oriens – Melissa Dumphy  

Bogoroditse Djevo (Mother of God and Virgin) -Cheryl Frances-Hoad 

Entreat Me Not to Leave You – Dan Forrest 

Trois Chansons (I. Dieu! Qu’il la fait bon regarder / II. Quant j’ai ouy la tambourin / III. Yver, vous n’estes qu’un vilian) – Claude Debussy 

Singing songs in French, Russian, and Latin, Chamber Choir has been preparing these songs for 6 months in order to put on a colligate level performance. All seven songs take you through the seasons, winter into spring.  

While preparing, Chamber had the opportunity to meet with the composer of the piece “O’Oriens,” Melissa Dumphy, on January 30th. Dr. Dumphy was kind enough to help us understand her piece on a deeper level. The choir was informed that the piece is a message of hope and enlightenment for those who are lost in their darkness. We were told by Dr. Dumphy that “this song can mean something different for everyone.” As we sang, we all thought of our own experiences that we had gone through and overcame. We got amazing feedback on how to convey the message of the song. Making this piece stronger and more meaningful than before. 

On February 14th, the Chamber met Dr. Vodicka from Westminster Choir College. Chamber sang four out of the seven songs and got technical feedback. Dr. Vodicka gave the choir honest advice at the end of the session. Speaking to the choir he says, “You have done all the hard work, and I will tell you- most choirs do not get to the point that you are at where all the hard work is done. You have done all that nitty gritty detail focus work. Now it is time to trust yourself and start to think about that next level.” Meeting with Dr. Vodicka gave the choir more confidence in their performing abilities and meaningful advice for the future. 

The Chamber choir will go to the ACDA conference on February 28 and stay overnight, leaving the next day. Mr. Villante and the choir are very eager to show everyone what they have accomplished so far in the year!