Summer Plans

Summer Plans

Jordanna Keyser

School is almost out! Do you want to have a fun yet productive summer? If so, I have some ideas for you. If you’re planning on resting, recovering, and totally forgetting that school exists, that’s awesome also. But for those that want some intellectual engagement, hopefully these suggestions can help keep you entertained but also on your A-game the whole season!

• Take an online course / college course

If you are particularly interested in a subject, you should take an online course on it! There are so many great websites that offer courses for free. Some even offer real college credits! I took Intro to Psychology last summer and it not only allowed me to learn something so new, but it was also incredibly engaging and truly enjoyable to do each day. I also have 3 transferable college credits now!

Whether economy, science, literature, or anything else, you can be sure that there’s a course on it. A quick Google search can equip you with different websites and facilities that provide different ways to learn. Those that do offer real college credits cost money, but they’re usually not too much. Your local community college may offer summer courses to the general public as well if you prefer to learn in-person rather than online.

If you are particularly interested and willing to put some money down, Outlier.org has some amazing courses that are extremely well-taught and fun. This is what I took Intro to Psych through; all the learning is done asynchronously, you are given video lessons to watch each day, and they provide you with a sample schedule detailing when you should complete lessons. These courses definitely help you keep your study skills strong!

• Get Ahead: Peruse CollegeBoard’s YouTube / AP review books

It’s a good idea to explore some of the topics of the classes that you will be taking next year, especially if you are taking a lot of rigorous honors or AP courses. YouTube has a world of resources for every course you can think of, and CollegeBoard’s YouTube channel has videos of AP Exam review that cover most of the major course topics. You obviously shouldn’t learn the whole course on your own, but any exposure is helpful and can make it easier for you to make connections during class next year. Purchasing an AP review book through websites like ThriftBooks and perusing the content can help similarly.

• Read!

Reading anything helps to increase your reading stamina (an underrated but extremely important component of learning), making those textbook assignments next year way easier! The more you read, the less difficult it will be to stay focused while reading large passages of information for history, English, or anything else.

Make reading a part of your life by setting aside at least thirty minutes a day to read. I promise you won’t regret it.

• Explore some details of your post-high school plan

If this stresses you out, don’t feel like you need to do it… but thinking about things like your future college major, how many years you’ll be going, and post-college occupations can give you clarity and provide you with a focus for which classes to prioritize the upcoming years. You may have no idea what you want to do post-high school; self-reflection can really help you discover a future pathway that you think is right for you. This clarity can also come in handy during the school year when you need a boost of motivation, as it can remind you what you’re working so hard for!

• Do something new

Learn to crochet! Pick up the guitar! Get crazy good at chess! Learn a new language! Summer is the perfect time to pick up a hobby, and learning anything new is known to release dopamine, giving you a new fun way to spend your free time and a burst of joy!

• Pre-College

A last note for current freshman and sophomores: it’s too late now, but think about if you would be interested in attending a pre-college program next summer. If you have a college that you really want to go to, look into it and see if it has a pre-college program—most colleges do! Applications take place anywhere from around December to March, so put it on your calendar for next year!

I hope these gave you some new ideas. At the end of the day, you should spend summer doing what brings you joy and helps you reset. However you choose to spend these next three months, make sure to have fun. HAGS!