The Patriot Newspaper

The Student News Site of Central Bucks High School East

The Patriot Newspaper

The Patriot Newspaper

Player Spotlight: Anna Barry

On Friday, February 23, 2024, senior guard Anna Barry entered CB East’s district playoff game against Perkiomen Valley just four points away from scoring her 1000th career point. Anna has been getting minutes on the court for CB East ever since she was a freshman. Unfortunately, that season was the COVID season where games were limited and the opportunity to shine and score points was improbable, she had only 57 points. Going into her next seasons as a sophomore and throughout, Anna’s role on the team only got bigger. Playing almost every minute of every game for the next three seasons, Anna made a name for herself, and a daunting task of making opponents have to gameplan for her.

As the moment came close, Anna reflects on the moment she realized she was within reach of the milestone, “I was excited because I knew that I was getting close, because my coach had told me. I knew I was 21 points away and then I had 17 points against Neshaminy.” Just four points away from a moment to remember and the only thing in her way was the best team in the district.

While reminiscing about the wonderful moment, Anna tells us about how stressful the task became, “I had 6 foul shots the whole game and I made my first three, but then missed the first one I had the next time, so I knew I had to make that last one.”. Luckily, Anna nailed the last free throw to cap off a four-year effort of chasing this goal. From being a player who was a standout shooter, to having to upgrade to being the center of the offense, Anna led her team to an outstanding record of 20 wins and 8 losses. This gave the girls an opportunity to compete in the state playoffs for the first time in all the seniors’ careers.

As a reflection of her CB East girls’ basketball career, Anna shares why this is the perfect way to end a memorable career, “We have won the most games since I have been here and it’s my first time playing in a state game.” Anna Barry has not only had a distinguished career herself but helped and was the catalyst of an unbelievable team who takes on a new challenge of the state playoffs.